On this coming Sunday, the Starbucks in the “Oak Park” area of Sacramento will be closing. Between appraisal inspections today, I paid my respects by buying a cup of coffee for the last time at the location. Oak Park native, Kevin Johnson (former NBA All Star / current Mayor of Sacramento), was instrumental in bringing Starbucks to the area and helping to reinvent the corner on which it is located.
I always liked the art on the inside of this store because it had somewhat of a typical Starbucks feel to it, but it also incorporated local Oak Park flavor by using KJ imagery. I took the following shots with my mobile phone.
According to a Sacramento Bee article, the word is that Old Soul Company is potentially interested in this corner spot, so hopefully they or another coffee house will soon establish roots. Whatever happens, the hope is that the new business willl be a step forward in redevelopment for Oak Park.
Further Background & Articles:
- Sacramento Biz Journals: “Ambitious Oak Park Project Taking Off” (2001)
- Sacramento Biz Journals: “Time-worn Oak Park on the Rebound” (2006)
- Sacramento Bee: “Old Soul Could Replace Departing Starbucks in Oak Park” (2009)
- Sacramento Bee: “Starbucks to Shut 7 Sacramento-area Shops” (2009)
- Oak Park Neighborhood Association
- SHRA: Oak Park Redevelopment Area
- St. HOPE
www.SacramentoAppraisalBlog.com R.I.P. Oak Park Starbucks